Quote of the Moment

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson



Sunday, February 14, 2010

Through the Ears of a Child...


After long periods of painful and constant ear infections I am now the proud mother of two babies under three with tubes. Baylor Jane just got hers and Addison has reached the one year mark.

Second tube operation in one year got me thinking, what is it like to have your ears so full of fluid and so tender and irritated from infection and then magically they are clear? I have witnessed changes with both girls almost overnight from their surgeries and I just wonder how trippy it is for them.

It is hard to imagine what it is like to be so small and learning so much about life and human function (speech, balance/walking, pain) with such a disadvantage and then the disadvantage disappear.

Either way, I am very grateful that both my girls are doing great and we are so very blessed. Baylor is taking steps and her language skills have stepped it up tremendously in a little under a week. Crazy.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

(somehow I lost your blog, and couldn't remember the new name! UGH! just found it again...)

Tubes are a Godsend. Parents ask me everyday it they should let their kids get them. ABSOLUTELY!

If you've got kiddos with chronic fluid, they are soooo worth it. The impact chronically plugged ears can have on your kids speech and language development is astronomical, and soooo not worth the risk!

Glad to hear those 2 are doing well. It's really funny how some kids are just plagued with "bad" ears and others never get an infection, ever. I know Ben had TONS when we were little. I think I was 19 when I experience my first infection!