Quote of the Moment

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson



Thursday, August 10, 2006

I Really Do.


"Children deprived of words become school dropouts; dropouts deprived of hope behave delinquently. Amateur censors blame delinquency on reading immoral books and magazines, when in fact, the inability to read anything is the basic trouble."

-- Peter S. Jennison


I am proud to teach in a district that allows "dangerous" books in our curriculum. I just finished a unit for a book written by Chris Crutcher. This man has had more of his teen books deemed as dangerous or banned. Yet, my students love them. He is speaking at my school this year and we just had two more of his books added to the curriculum. Yeah! Kids are being encouraged to read!!

Is your favorite book censored?


Check out these sites on censorship.
http://forbiddenlibrary.com/
www.ala.org/ala/oif/
www.kidspeakonline.org

No comments: